Well I’ve just finished re-installing the latest stable version of WordPress with my new wordpress theme enabled on it. I shouldn’t really say new theme, I should say first as the reason I’ve had to re-install wordpress is beacuse for my sins I didn’t take the time to understand how wordpress templates were meant to function when I installed two years ago and as a result modified wordpress core files.
This has caused me no end of problems over the last two years and I’m pleased I’ve dealt with it finally. I’ll be building the site up a bit more over the next couple of days, but I think I’m almost there after dealing with issues with the simplepie plugin which has its quirks, adding a few choice entries to my .htaccess files to hopefully make sure that previous urls are not broken and a few other little issues.
Ah well, lessons learnt:
- Take mroe time to understand applications before charging in
- Don’t modify application code unless really unavoidable.
- Take time when starting out to think about a long term usable url structure so that you don’t end up potentially breaking trackbacks and other linkage (important for preserving ones pagerank (however low it is!)).
All very obvious in many ways but all the same I ignored them a couple of years ago (web development for me I must admit has been a learning by doing excercise so I’m excusing myself in some ways!).
Anyway, enough for tonight…